Acupuncture for Pain – a proven treatment approach
There is a vast body of research evidence supporting the use of acupuncture for pain, both acute and chronic. Some of the most common reasons patient seek acupuncture care are low back pain, headaches, migraines, sports injuries, carpal tunnel, TMJ and neck and shoulder pain.
How Does Acupuncture Help With Pain?
The use of acupuncture for pain can be effective in the management of acute and chronic pain as well as sports injuries. It works by reducing inflammation and swelling, increasing necessary blood flow to the affected area, and facilitating healing. Due to its success, acupuncture has become an evidence-based approach to pain management.
After an acupuncture session, people often report feeling relaxed and refreshed. Many patients describe a sense of improved wellbeing, with a decrease in pain levels that can remain even weeks after the treatment. Patients may also experience immediate relief from stress and anxiety, and have an overall feeling of improved physical and mental health.
Studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of using acupuncture for pain. Acupuncture has been found to reduce inflammation and noticeably relieve pain, with many patients experiencing long-lasting healing benefits. Research also shows that acupuncture can be used as a preventative measure to help manage chronic pain over time:
- A systematic review in 2016 conducted by the Acupuncture Trial Register showed that acupuncture was effective in treating chronic pain conditions.
- The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health has acknowledged that acupuncture is an effective treatment for chronic pain, including musculoskeletal pain, back and neck pain, headaches and migraines.
- A study published in 2019 found that acupuncture reduced inflammation, improved function and reduced anxiety levels for patients with osteoarthritis.
- Research conducted in 2017 showed that electroacupuncture – a form of acupuncture combining electrical stimulation with traditional manual needle insertion – effectively relieved lower back pain.
- A 2020 study demonstrated that manual and electroacupuncture both provided relief from arthritic knee joint pain.
- ACUPUNCTURE CAN BE SUCCESSFULLY USED FOR
- ● Migraines
● Jaw pain or TMJ
● Neck and back pain
● Nerve pain, including numbness, tingling and shooting sensations
● Fractures, strains, sprains, bruises and other traumatic injuries
● Helping broken bones heal and reducing associated pain
● Post-operative pain
● Joint pain and arthritis
● Sore muscles, fibromyalgia
● Acute and chronic pain
● Nerve conditions such as sciatica, carpal tunnel, and neuropathy
At Lokahi Acupuncture, Lara McQuade and Joon (JB) Kim bring decades of board-certified expertise in East Asian Medicine to create deeply tailored treatment plans. These collaborative plans utilize acupuncture combined with other modalities like herbs, diet change and lifestyle shifts for a comprehensive approach to address any pain condition – delivering the best of traditional Eastern practices alongside modern evidence-based treatments. With 30 years’ collective experience between them, you can feel assured that your needs will be met here!
If you would like to schedule an appointment or are interested in a free consultation, please follow this link.
I’ve had many opportunities to have acupuncture here and in China. It’s been my experience that to have good results, you need to find someone really good, who knows what they’re doing! In the south bay area, I have not found anyone better than Lokahi acupuncturists!!
My experience at Lokahi has helped build a sense of confidence in myself that I can manage my condition and continue to live a very rewarding and pain free life. If you’re contemplating acupuncture services, I highly recommend Ann Marie, and Lokahi in general, as I’m certain everyone who works there is just as wonderful given the reviews I read.
I got to see Cara and she first explained the procedure in great detail and after many questions, put together a good plan. While I was nervous, it faded away quickly and I also started to feel the impact very fast. My first session was a great success (sciatic never pain for me). The entire office is very friendly and warm, clean with a calming atmosphere.
Finding JB was the best accident. He’s help me figure out how to care for my pain, but even better the source of my pain! The rest of the team is very personable and welcoming. And I really appreciate the cleanliness and happy plants that live there too.
I have been a client for a few years and have worked with a number of practitioners. Everyone is awesome at Lokahi. You can not go wrong by choosing anyone. I have referred friends and family and highly recommend this acupuncture group.
I went back to Lokahi this weekend and was having terrible right shoulder pain, tenderness, stiffness. I had my session with Susannah amd she recommended trying cupping therapy which I have never tried on myself, but had heard of it. Let me tell you!!! My pain, tenderness and stiffness improved 90% after my first session!!
I have been working with JB for my chronic migraines and they have significantly decreased over time. It is also just nice to be seen and taken care of seriously for migraines. I am always excited when it is time for my appointment, even when I do have a migraine that day for I know that JB will make it much less painful.